Sunday, February 21, 2016

Christensen

Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us
Linda Christensen

Reflection

I thought Christensen did a good job of explaining the stereotypes presented in cartoons and movies. I liked how the article was written based on work she had done with her class. The reader was able to see how students reacted to the topic, as well as Christensen. The “secret education” that she talks about is very relevant. Like other people mentioned, one of the biggest issues is body image. This is true for both girls and boys. Young children look at these characters and think that the only way people are going to like them and they’re going to fit it is if they have the perfect body, perfect hair, or the biggest muscles. Another issue is with relationships. Girls are taught that they have to end up with the perfect guy, their “Prince Charming”. Boys are taught that they have to marry the prettiest girl, the Princess. These, and other stereotypes, give children the wrong ideas of what will make them happy in life.


This reading connects a lot to Grinner’s SCWAAMP. First, straightness. The relationships that are seen in these movies and cartoons are always between a man and a woman. This shows children that that is the only option for a relationship. Next, whiteness. Until The Princess and the Frog, there had never been a black princess. This shows children that whiteness is favored in society. Next, able-bodiedness. Both boys and girls are shown unrealistic expectations for what they should look like. Finally, maleness. Girls are shown that the only thing that will give them a “happily ever after” is to marry their Prince Charming. This is also seen with gender roles. For example, the maid in the family is always a woman, and the dad always has a high position job.

It may seem like I’m contradicting myself, but I do want to point out that although I agree that these cartoons and movies provide children with many negative stereotypes, I don’t think Disney is something that people should completely turn away from, like some of Christensen's students suggested, especially for kids. All day long at the daycare I work at the kids talk constantly about Disney princesses and their favorite cartoons. They pretend to be the characters and act out their favorite parts. I don’t see a problem with this. As a teacher, and someday as a parent, I wouldn’t want to take something away from children that they enjoy so much. Christensen said, “…at times my students would like to remain ‘ignorant and happy’” (134). Maybe it’s naïve of me to think this way, but I don’t believe that sheltering a four year old from Disney is going to change much about the way society affects them.


Point to Share:


Society and media play a huge role in how children grow up. The people and the lifestyles that are portrayed in the media are what kids look up to and aspire to be. I believe this can be both negative and positive. It’s negative when body image is something that is looked up to, like wanting to look like Barbie. However, sometimes when personalities are looked up to it can be positive. For example, Merida’s motivation to control her own life from the Disney movie Brave or Marlin’s determination from the Disney movie Finding Nemo.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your opinion on media as well as the relation to SCWAAMP as I related to it in my blog too. The examples you used for SCWAAMP and what you mentioned about Disney is also true. Lastly, you mentioned we shouldn't just turn away from Disney because of what Christensen said about the fairytales, yes we did grow up with them and can't change them, but we can hope that maybe Disney will change in the near future and look at how being different is good and okay, even if society doesn't 100% agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your blog. It's crazy to look back on the movies we grew up watching and think of the negative parts of it that went right over our heads. I think it is important that you mention how you may be contradicting yourself. I agree with you when you say that even though these movies have negative aspects, we shouldn't turn our back on Disney completely. We enjoyed growing up watching these films, and in the future more kids should. Like you said, it's good to give them something to look up to. I think that Disney didn't do this on purpose and it's kind of a lesson about our society when we put parts together in the film and what they are manipulating us to think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading your post because you brought up a lot of good points that I didn't even think of. I think your comment about how much young children enjoy Disney is really significant. I agree, I think it is crucial for young children to be exposed to Disney. It encourages their imagination. The "secret education" behind these movies will go right over their heads. However, for teen audiences, I believe that the impact of Disney is a more negative one.

    ReplyDelete